One thing that I love about winter approaching is soup season. This one pot harvest vegetable soup is not only easy to make – it only takes one pot to cook, which makes my husband happy (he does the dishes). After chopping the veggies, it only takes 45 minutes to cook. Easy and tastes great!
Do you ever have those days where you are craving vegetables? I recently had a craving like that and decided to make some soup. Because what is better for vegetable cravings than soup? There just isn’t much that’s better than soup. What I really loved about this recipe was that it tasted amazing, but besides that you don’t realize you are eating all these veggies.
This soup has so many things in it: onion, leeks, potatoes, carrots, kale, parsnips (white carrots), chickpeas and orzo. I mean, just looking at this list is making me want vegetables because these all sound so good together. Yum! But seriously, kale in soup is one of my secret weapons. Why? Because it’s a delicious superfood and you don’t feel like you are eating any “greens” or anything healthy. The kale takes on the flavors of the soup, so you won’t realize you are eating it.
The orzo helps make this vegetable soup hearty. Plus the potatoes will fill you up quickly, when you aren’t even expecting it. Let’s warm our souls with this delicious soup recipe. You won’t be disappointed.
To make this one pot harvest vegetable soup:
In a large stock pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, leeks and garlic. Saute until the onion softens, 3 minutes. Add the carrots, potatoes, parsnips, beef broth and tomatoes.
Add the chickpeas, kale, fresh herbs, orzo and salt and pepper. Simmer for another 15 minutes more. Adjust the seasonings, if needed. Serve immediately.
One Pot Harvest Vegetable Soup
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 Tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 stalk leek chopped
- 3 medium carrots chopped
- 3 small red potatoes cubed
- 2 medium parsnips chopped
- 8 cups beef broth
- 15oz can crushed tomatoes
- 15oz can chickpeas drained and rinse
- 1 cup orzo cooked
- 1 bunch kale chopped
- 1 cup parsley chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh sage chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh rosemary chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large stock pot, heat the olive oil to medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and leeks and saute for about 3 minutes. Add the carrots, potatoes, parsnips, beef broth and tomatoes. Simmer and cover over medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas, kale, fresh herbs, orzo and salt and pepper. Simmer for another 15 minutes more. Adjust the seasonings, if needed. Serve immediately.